This electrical traction funicular railway without cogs was built in several sections between 1907 and 1913 by the Lausanne engineer Koller for a subsidiary of the Société des eaux minérales. It transports the tourist clientele from the quays (port, thermal establishment and casino) to the large hotels (Splendide, Royal, Ermitage) via the Buvette Cachat (the thermal refreshment bar). It is called "the small Evian metro" because it serves six stations which are decorated with beveled earthenware tiles. Two cars with five compartments each run on the 750-metre line, including 140 metres underground. Closed in 1969, the funicular railway was started up again during summer 2002 after six years of renovation work. It belongs to the city of Evian and is listed as a historical monument. The funicular is a rare piece of European railway heritage and is one of only three survivors of listed funiculars from the 19th and 20th centuries.
The lower station is located rue du port, behind the Palais Lumière.
The upper station is at the level of the Grange au lac.
Departure: every 20 minutes from both stations.
Three intermediate stations: Sources - Mateirons - Hotel Royal.
A refreshment bar is open at the Funicular top station from 1 July to mid-September from 11am to 7.30pm.